Capital Comets Agility Practice
Capital Comets offers weekly practices year round at the Saanich Fair Grounds at 1528 Stellys X Road in Central Saanich on Tuesday nights from 7 to 9 pm, except in August and over the December holiday season. All practices take place indoors in the Agriplex building on packed sand.
Tuesday night practice is a time for members of the club to train their dogs and spend time with like minded people. At each practice the equipment is set up in an unique way, giving members a chance to work on different skills. The practice format changes every other week: two courses, usually a Jumpers and a Standard course are set up one week, and the next week three short sequences of obstacles are set up to allow handlers to practice particular skills. Participants can choose to follow the numbered set up or focus on specific skills, such as gambling or perfecting their dogs performance on contact equipment (the teeter, A frame and dog walk).
The club welcomes new members to come to practice who can demonstrate that their dog has reached a level of training and skill to safely use all the different equipment independent of instructor help. All members at a practice have equal time (1 to 2 minutes) to try each course or short sequence. Practice nights are a great way for handlers to develop or refine their dogs skill, whether in preparation to trial, or just to have fun working with their dog.
Practice Guidelines (all dogs and handlers)
- You are responsible for your dog and all of your dogs actions. Aggression by your dog toward other dogs or people will not be tolerated.
- Please ensure your dog is under control at all times. Your dog should be on leash until in the ring and ready to run. Please do not let your dog run around the ring while you are setting bars.
- Always be vigilant and aware of what is going on around you. The practice barn is noisy, and excitable dogs and those that are not dog friendly may be present near you and your dog.
- Pick up after yourself and your dog.
- Be aware of the time limit for your turn, and be courteous to others by not exceeding it.
- Arrive 15 minutes before the practice start time to help set up the equipment and/or, stay to the end of practice to help pack up equipment and return it to the storage locker.
- Help set bars when it is not your turn so that the practice runs efficiently and everyone gets an equal turn.
To participate in club practice nights, a person has to be a club member with practice privileges. To obtain more information about participation in comets practice sessions please contact the club agility coordinator, or club secretary.